Between Friends offers a variety of services to best suit the needs of individuals affected by domestic violence and their children who come through our door. Some opportunities with Between Friends are listed below.
Adult Counseling Services
Between Friends' Counseling Program helps individuals deal with the traumatic effects of living in an abusive relationship or to heal from past abusive relationships. Counselors encourage survivors to explore their options and make their own decisions in order to build a safe future for themselves and their children. Our counseling services include:
- Individual and group counseling sessions offered in a safe and welcoming environment;
- Daytime and evening appointments;
- Phone counseling if you are unable to come to the office;
- English and Spanish counseling services;
- Childcare during counseling sessions and groups; and
- No fee for services.
Children's Counseling Services
Children are dramatically impacted by the abuse they witness or experience in their home. Depending on the age and developmental level of children, they may experience anxiety, fear of abandonment, feelings of responsibility for the abuse, and fear of physical harm.
Our counseling program offers children the chance to explore their feelings, build self-esteem, and learn conflict resolution skills in a safe and therapeutic setting. Our services include:
- Individual and group sessions;
- Family counseling for children and the non-abusive parent;
- Integration of art therapy and play to help children voice their experiences;
- Parent/child counseling for children 0-5 years of age; and
- No fee for services.
Economic Empowerment Services
Our Realizing Your Economic Action Plan (REAP) group aims to help domestic violence victims develop a better understanding of their finances and economic health. Topics include:
- Exploration of money and power;
- Developing a budget;
- Understanding credit (including understanding and building credit scores); and
- Banking and investing guidelines.
Group counseling helps survivors connect with one another receive support and gain valuable resources. Between Friends currently has four groups that are open and ongoing for any individuals who have completed an intake with our Intake Counselor. A childrenâ��s group is always provided concurrently with an adult group as well.
English-Speaking Adult Support Group
Meets every Monday from 6:15pm- 7:30pm
Finding Our Essence is an adult supportive healing and processing group for survivors of domestic violence. This open and ongoing group focuses on identifying and processing experiences of trauma and developing and discussing coping strategies in a safe and understanding group environment. Group members are invited to discover and nourish their ability to share and receive support from others.
Topics discussed in group include:
- Validating experiences of domestic violence
- Discovering and maintain healthy boundaries
- Accessing supportive people and systems
- Legal issues
- Decreasing feelings of self-blame, shame and guilt
- Increasing feelings of positive self-confidence
- Healthy coping skills
- Sharing community resources
- Safety planning
- The cycle of domestic violence
- Types of domestic violence
- Signs of an abusive personality
This group meets on Monday evenings from 6:15pm-7:30pm at our confidential facility. All gender identities and sexual orientations are welcome and children’s group is provided. Please come unscented.
Groups for Children
Meets every Monday from 6:15- 7:30pm and every Tuesday from 6:30- 7:45pm
Children are invited to participate in our weekly evening social groups, facilitated by Between Friends staff members and volunteers. In children’s groups, children will have the opportunity to:
- Learn conflict resolution skills
- Build positive self-esteem
- Identify safe ways to express feelings
- Foster healthy relationships with peers
Children’s groups with Between Friends include expressive healing activities and workshops, including visual arts, dance, movement, yoga and play to help creatively engage children in the healing process.
Children’s groups meet on Mondays from 6:15pm to 7:30pm and Tuesdays from 6:30pm to 7:45pm at our confidential facility. Parents and caregivers must be enrolled in counseling services for their children to attend and participate.
Encontrando mi Camino
Meets every Monday from 6:30- 7:45pm
“Encontrando mi Camino” is a supportive, ongoing and customized group for Spanish speaking clients. Participants meet under the guidance of a domestic violence counselor with knowledge and training on domestic violence. The group focuses on processing difficult experiences caused by domestic violence and identifying safe and healthy strategies to cope with the effects of abuse. The main goal is to help survivors restore a sense of self-worth, self-love and self-esteem and to help them build a positive and supportive community with each other.
Healthy Relationships Group (English and Spanish speaking groups)
Meets every Wednesday: Spanish group from 5:30- 6:30pm and English group from 6:30- 7:30pm
This is a group for adult survivors of domestic violence, and it is specifically designed to promote healthy relationships within the family system to create strong family ties. It is also to bring awareness about domestic violence and its long-term effects on adults and children.
The group is designed for clients involved with the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS).
Coffee Connections (English speaking support group)
Meets every Thursday 11:00 am- 12pm
This group is open to individuals who want to use their stories to educate the community about domestic violence and to empower other survivors impacted by abuse.